Before I could start the post for today, I would like to know how many of you are hard-core fans of noodles and pasta?
I am sure almost all are nodding your heads except a few.
Let us know the technology behind the food that attracts all your cutie pies at home.
Extrusion cooking is a thermo mechanical process, that happens through the application of mechanical shear, heat, and pressure to the dough that gives desirable shape and texture to your extruded product.
The process of extrusion happens inside an extruder.
It has three sections.
1. Feed section 2. Compression section 3. Metering section
There are three stages in processing.
- The preconditioned food is fed at one end of a tubular structure housing a screw, that transforms it into a semi-solid mass.
- The solid mass forced through a die at the discharge end of the screw gives the desired shape.
- The food expands due to moisture in it.
There are two main types of extruders.
- Single screw extruder
- Twin-screw extruder
Parameters that affect the extrusion process
- Screw speed
- Barrel temperature
- Screw barrel configuration
- Die opening
- Feed rate
Components of extruder
sorry, if this section sounds like your science class this is written for the benefit of food engineering students so please bear with me – Siva
- Wide range of products like noodles, pasta, ready to eat snacks, breakfast cereals, texturized vegetable protein or soya chunks and meat analogues, pet foods.
- It is a cost-efficient process and reduces cooking time.
Around the world with food technology
World’s healthiest noodles are Kelp noodles made of edible seaweed without the addition of grain flour or starch.
Antioxidants for health
Colourful vegetables like carrot, capsicum, and cabbage are rich sources of antioxidants that can help you stay at the pink of your health. The colourful pigments make them the healthiest choice of food. Whenever you eat noodles include all the 5Cs.
- curry and coriander leaves
Extrusion for life
It is fine to be stressed sometimes due to the pressure we live through, but see that you become more energetic, attractive, loving when you overcome your troubles just like noodles and pasta.
An interesting piece of information
Noodles are the unhealthiest food on earth.
Instant noodles provide iron, vitamins, and manganese but lack protein and fiber. MSG or monosodium glutamate can hurt health so as far as you avoid the tastemaker it is the same as a bowl of rice.
Pasta is carbohydrate-rich.
Pasta is a good way to get a little extra protein into your diet.
one cup of cooked spaghetti can provide 8 grams of protein.